international editions

Η Αγία Τριάδα στις Λεύκες
1900 μ.Χ.
Άγιος Νικήτας στις Λεύκες
Αγιος Γιάννης Καπαρός στις Λεύκες
Ανατολή από τις Λεύκες
Στο βάθος φαίνεται το νησί της Νάξου

Lefkes

Church of Agia Triada (19th century BC)
Agia Triada is the second largest church on Paros, after Ekatontapiliani. Foundations were laid in 1830, on the site of three small churches: Analipsi, Agios Georgios and Agia Anna. It was completed, in its current form, in 1835. Agia Triada is a three-aisle basilica with a raised and sloped center aisle, which is covered by a tile roof. Two imposing, raised marble bell towers dominate the left and right of the main gate, exquisitely sculpted by skilled artists. The four double columns supporting the gate of the church are also made of marble. There are also three inner gates. A ceramic depiction of Agia Triada by renowned iconographer Virginia Kydonieo is found above the main inner gate. On entering the church, the arch-covered center aisle and vaulted side aisles are immediately visible. The aisles are separated by four marble columns. The icon screen is also made of carved marble, crafted by a skilled sculptor from Tinos. The frescoes inside the church, dating from the 19th century, are also interesting. The Church of Agia Triada was declared a listed monument by the Ministry of Culture.

Church of Agia Aikaterini
The church of Agia Aikaterini (1726) is located in the narrow streets of the mountain village of Lefkes. It is a two-aisle chapel, with two domed narthexes, an impressive double bell tower and a domed roof. The north aisle is dedicated to Agios Athanasios.

Monastery of Agios Ioannis Kaparos
The monastery of Agios Ioannis Prodromos, or Kaparos (the name of the last owner) is located southwest of the village of Lefkes, near the source of the river Vronta. It is a small monastery with a correspondingly small chapel, which was renovated in 1646. An excursion to Ai Yiannis brings visitors to a place of outstanding natural beauty, flora and running waters. The marble icon screen inside the chapel dates from 1793.

Monastery of Agia Kyriaki, on the road to Avkoulaki
A recently renovated monastery southeast of Lefkes. The Monastery of Agia Kyriaki was founded in the 17th century by monk Mattheos Ragousi, and closed in 1831, after the death of Gideon, the last monk to reside in the monastery. The cruciform, single space church features a carved wooden icon screen and marble pulpit.

Church of Zoodochou Pigis in Aspro Chorio

Events

« February 2020 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29  
 

Recommendations