international editions

Byzantine Museum of Paros

The Byzantine Museum of Paros is housed in the Ekatontapiliani complex, in Parikia.

It exhibits rare icons dating from the 17th and 18th century, ecclesiastical items and valuable relics of the post-Byzantine history of Paros.
The collection of icons and relics in Ekatontapiliani began in the early 20th century, at the initiative of the archimandrite and priest of Ekatontapiliani, Georgios Filippos Skaramangas (1867-1944). It initially included items that were found through the centuries in the temple and other churches in Parikia.

The museum shut down after the death of father Georgios Skaramangas, who had been appointed temporary antiquities curator in 1936. On the initiative of the late Bishop Epifanios, the collection was transferred to the three cells on the upper floor of the south wing of the Ekatontapiliani building complex, which had been specially equipped to house it. The Byzantine Museum of Paros operated for a short time in that space. After the death of Bishop Epifanios, the museum shut down for the second time and the collection was stored in a single cell. In 1967, many of the icons in the collection were restored on site by the staff of the then Central Restoration Workshop, and later, in 1980-81, other icons were restored at the Restoration Center for Antiquities, Archaeological Society.

In April 1993, under Bishop Ambrose, a portion of the collection from the 2nd Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities was once again exhibited, with the cooperation and support of the Executive Board of the Pilgrimage. The rest of the icons were restored in the workshop of the Ephorate.

The new exhibition opened on 21 May 1996, during the celebration of the 17th century of Ekatontapiliani and was housed in three ground floor rooms, one chapel and two halls in the southwest corner of the cell complex of Ekatontapiliani, which were previously used as classrooms by the Primary School of Parikia. The best-preserved pieces were initially displayed.

The first and largest hall mainly exhibits icons, wood carvings can be found in the small chapel, and vestments, clasps, ecclesiastical items and the wooden, carved epitaph of Ekatontapiliani are on display in the third hall. The special display cases in the two smaller rooms feature a few silver items. The rest of the collection is stored in a cell in the complex.

The collection is continually updated with donations and through the addition of newr icons to the collection.

Telephone: 22840-21243
Opening Hours: All day long in summer
Suitable for all ages

Events

« November 2018 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30    
 

Recommendations